Nick, Carolyn, Eve, Sky (June 2004)

Saturday, September 15, 2007

My neighbor Sky

I met Sky a little over a year ago when I moved into this small, quaint complex in Highland Park. It's a great place to live. Good energy and some of the best people you could ever meet. Sky was one of these people. He was my neighbor. Our cottages directly faced one another. I didn't know too much about him. We had brief interactions and he did hang out with all the neighbors on several occasions. What I did know about Sky was that he was a kind, gentle, and friendly person. He was always planting or watering something. Always trying to make the earth a more beautiful place. It's clear his contributions are endless. The last time I spoke to Sky he had come over to ask me to turn down some music I had been playing. I noticed he was tense. He was still very sweet. He sat and spoke to June (another neighbor) and me for a few moments and as he walked out the door he said "You guys are good neighbors." I've gone over that evening over and over again trying to figure out if I missed something. My thoughts and feelings in regards to this last encounter are similar to what many of you must be feeling..I should've said something...I should've asked questions....I should've done something.

It's difficult to walk out my front door these days without reliving the tragic events of that gloomy Sunday afternoon. It deeply saddens me to think of Sky's pain and all that he must have been feeling all the while I was right there, next door. My neighbors and I are trying to focus less on Sky's death and more on his life. All that he was, all that he loved, and all who loved him. This world is a better place because of Sky and we must find a way to celebrate this. Sky was a good neighbor and a great person. He brought what was already a close community even closer together. He has accomplished in his short life what most people couldn't do in several lifetimes. Our courtyard is a better more beautiful place because of him. I firmly believe he is still among us in some form, on some level. Energy doesn't die. Sky will live on through all who knew him. We are all blessed to have known him at all.

So now, when I walk out my front door I will try to focus on the beautiful garden he left behind. I think that would make Sky very happy.

To Sky's siblings: I want to thank you for allowing all of us to be a part of remembering Sky. May God bless you and comfort you.

To my neighbors: I love you all so much. Thank you for all the support and love during this difficult time. I am so lucky to have you guys.
------------------------------------------------
How To Save A Life
The Fray
© 2004 Slade/King

Step one you say we need to talk
He walks you say sit down it's just a talk
He smiles politely back at you
You stare politely right on through
Some sort of window to your right
As he goes left and you stay right
Between the lines of fear and blame
And you begin to wonder why you came

Where did I go wrong, I lost a friend
Somewhere along in the bitterness
And I would have stayed up with you all night
Had I known how to save a life

Let him know that you know best
Cause after all you do know best
Try to slip past his defense
Without granting innocence
Lay down a list of what is wrong
The things you've told him all along
And pray to God he hears you

Where did I go wrong, I lost a friend
Somewhere along in the bitterness
And I would have stayed up with you all night
Had I known how to save a life

As he begins to raise his voice
You lower yours and grant him one last choice
Drive until you lose the road
Or break with the ones you've followed
He will do one of two things
He will admit to everything
Or he'll say he's just not the same
And you'll begin to wonder why you came

Where did I go wrong, I lost a friend
Somewhere along in the bitterness
And I would have stayed up with you all night
Had I known how to save a life
------------------------------------------------
To Sky with love

1 comment:

Eve Rashby-Pollock said...

To Ericka, June, and all of Sky's wonderful neighbors: thank you for your love and kindness. You all feel like family now.

With love,
Eve