Nick, Carolyn, Eve, Sky (June 2004)

Friday, September 7, 2007

Memories and unsaid words...

I, like many others, have had a difficult time trying to put into words all that I’d like to say to Sky and about Sky. So, I’ll just see where this takes me.

No one will find it hard to believe that I heard about Sky before I met him. I was told that one of the Geobiology students that would be starting school with me was a brilliant molecular-biologist hippy from Berkeley with really big hair. What could be better? When I finally met Sky, I remember being disappointed that he had a crew cut. Those of you that knew Sky know I just happened to meet him during one of those times when he lopped it all off.

I felt drawn to Sky right away. It was impossible to miss that I had just met someone remarkable. Sky made everyone feel at ease, and people gravitated towards him. Not only was he great fun, he was also a true friend. He was a great thinker, and I marveled on many occasions the grandeur of his ideas. And he was an old soul. This, I don’t think anyone could have missed.

There are many things I wish I could have said to Sky. Thank you for many bright moments during a dark time. You never knew how most of my fond memories of Caltech life were given to me by you. Thank you for being a good parent to BIF. Thank you for being a listener and for providing me with support. I valued your wisdom at the time as it helped me to make difficult decisions – but I value it even more now as it echoes and resounds through my head. Thank you for letting me raid your MP3 collection, for now I have tons of music that reminds me of you. Thank you for setting an example for me and others…in your seamless blending of political activism, dedication to geobiology, and a rich life of family and friends.

I am sorry that I was so buried in my own depression to be present for you during the time we had together. I am sorry that when I told you that I was leaving and your face fell that I was so numb I could offer little explanation or comfort. I am sorry that I did not look back. I am so sorry for not looking back. I am sorry that I did not get you on the phone that last time.

I am hopeful that you are still out there somewhere, and that you are in the presence of loved ones. I am hopeful that we will see each other again one day.

I know that there are many, many lives that have been touched by you who miss you terribly.

No comments: