Nick, Carolyn, Eve, Sky (June 2004)

Sunday, September 9, 2007

We only talked a few times.

Hi Sky.

You know you made an impression on me with the hair. When I joined the lab last year, and people would talk about other students in the department, I just couldn't keep it all straight, who was who. Your hair helped a lot. When I saw you the last Friday, I mentioned that your haircut looked nice, but what I didn't tell you was that it reminded me of the emotional times in my life, when I go boy-short with my own hair. And now I feel a connection with you, over that.

Sky, you could have talked to any of us. We know what it's like. I'm really, really sad about that. We miss you.

We only talked a few times, but I was really looking forward to having a relationship with you that would slowly grow. I knew it would, and I knew it didn't need to be rushed, because you're that kind of person.

It was really plain to see that you had an active mind, and had your finger on the pulse of a lot of issues. The conversation with you that I remember most, was when we talked at the last house concert. I was asking you about economics in Africa, and food crops. We got onto warming, and how humans will probably destroy the planet.... and how in the end the microorganisms will be just fine. And we laughed, and we felt like that was alright, then.

I miss you. I wish things had gone differently. I don't know what I'll do, yet, to mark the impression that your life had on mine. I'm a little angry about being in the position of thinking about these things, because it feels like it reduces the person you are to some gesture. At the same time, I need to make the gesture, because to not make it doesn't help at all. But I'm not really that angry so much as sad, because I know that you were in a bad way, and I hope you are feeling better. I think you must, as enadin said, be on a terrific adventure.

Love you,
Patty

No comments: