Nick, Carolyn, Eve, Sky (June 2004)

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

A starry starry night for you

I can't say that I know Sky well, although we shared that old and dark office during our first year at Caltech, together with Kendra and Ben Hickey, the names that left me earlier.

Since people moved to new places, we only met weekly on Alex's group meeting and Geoclub seminar, or just say hi when passing by in the hallway of N Mudd... We didn't talk much, because due to language and culture differences, I couldn't get most of your jokes, just as I couldn't understand your worries and sadness about this country and this world. But I know that you are always smiling to me; you are the one who replaced the waste containers when I forgot to (sorry, I forgot many times...); you kept Kendra's Bif and almost fed her to death : ); you tried to take care of everything when people are busy with their own business...

Now, still, I don't know what to talk about with you, so I find a song that I'd like to sing to you:

Vincent -- Don McLean

Starry, starry night
Flaming flowers that brightly blaze
Swirling clouds in violet haze
Reflecting Vincent's eyes of China blue
Colors changing hue
Morning fields of amber grain
Weathered faces lined in pain
Are soothed beneath the artist's loving hands

Now I understand
What you tried to say to me
How you suffered for your sanity
How you tried to set them free
They would not listen they did not know how
Perhaps they'll listen now

For they could not love you
But still your love was true
And when no hope was left in sight
On that starry, starry night
You took your life as lovers often do
But I could have told you Vincent
This world was never meant for one as
beautiful as you

No comments: