Nick, Carolyn, Eve, Sky (June 2004)

Tuesday, October 2, 2007

I was Sky's old roommate in Berkeley, Panoramic Way

Sky-
I miss you and I am still not having an easy time understanding what happened. I wish I could have made it to your memorial, but some other circumstances prevented that from happening. I also regret that we lost touch the last few years, after I moved from the area to start my new job and career . I know we were always supposed to meet up for a burrito during my brief stint in LA about a year ago, but we always had issues coordinating schedules. Honestly, I was going through my own personal crisis while I was living there, and was really in no state to meet anyone. In retrospect, I really wish i had made a bit more of an effort so we could have spent some time catching up on our lives.
Almost all of my memories of you were good ones. When we lived at the Panoramic House...some of the most fun times I had were when we all went shopping at Berkeley Bowl, and cooked up some awesome grub together. We were always broke at that time, but seemed to have a shared love of great food. I remember a lot of nights of cheap red wine, pasta, and salads. You and Mike and Danielle were my three closest friends that year, and I have a lot of happy memories of that slice of time in our lives. I was always really impressed by you.....you were only a year or so older, but seemed wise beyond your years, and had passionate political convictions. Except for that one time you and Mike Chung challenged each other to a drinking contest on St Paddy's day. That time, we had to carry you up several flights of stairs, back to the house and we got so scared because you got so sick that night. I think you had a mean ol hangover that next morning, and we all chuckled about it in retrospect. When you moved out of the apartment I didn't see you quite as much as before, but you were one of my favorite roomies ever, and I didn't get a chance to tell you that.
The last time I saw you was a good memory. You were happy, but injured....I don't remember the details why, but you got in some sort of accident, biking or skiing I think. You were just heading off to Caltech, and I was just about to move to North Carolina for my new job. i think we were both hopeful regarding the new paths we were taking, and again, I was totally in awe of the fact that you had gotten into such a prestigious program.
Wherever you are....know that I never relegated you to the back of my mind....I never stopped thinking fondly of the times we shared as roomates and friends. I have dreamt about you a lot these past few weeks, and I hope that where you are now, you know that you touched the lives of so many people, myself included.


with love,
Manali

No comments: