Nick, Carolyn, Eve, Sky (June 2004)

Wednesday, September 10, 2008


Dianne Newman, who was one of Sky's advisors at CalTech (and a very, very dear friend) sent this cartoon which Sky did. Here's her explanation of it, and of his research (in layperson's terms that even I could understand!)

"As the project he started in my lab grows, I keep thinking how pleased he would have been. In fact, I'm traveling to Berlin this weekend to give a talk on his work, and I'm starting my talk with a picture that he drew for a gift my lab gave me a few years ago. I've decided I'm going to always start my talks on this project with this picture, as a tribute to him. I'm attaching it to this email. It's a picture of 2 cells talking to each other: the green one is a cyanobacterium, asking the purple one if it's making 2-MeBHPs (the molecule in the conversation bubble). Sky discovered that the purple guys could make this molecule too, which overturned the conventional wisdom that these molecules were biomarkers for cyanobacteria. Now, my lab's gone a lot further, and we're starting to get an idea of their biological function. But he started it all!"

No comments: